Have you seen those satisfying videos where they use pressure washers to clean dirt off of carpets? Do you want to know more about pressure washing? Would you like to use this technique to clean your driveway?
In any case, pressure washing is an intricate procedure that requires expertise. You can use this cleaning method after practicing and following safety measures. Usually, pressure washing your pool, roofs, and pavements can be a solution for known allergens. Examples include algae and lichens.
Over the years, this innovative method has gained popularity due to its effectiveness and benefits. It saves money, prevents damage, and increases your home’s appeal. Hence, the industry grew at a CAGR of 5.7% between 2018 and 2023.
In this blog, we will discuss everything you need to know about pressure washing as a beginner.
5 Things to Know Before Buying a Pressure Washer
Initially, you considered pressure washing a simple weekend chore. However, the complexity makes it a task that requires immense focus. You cannot put on music and dance while using this cleaning method.
While this is not a physically demanding chore, it requires good equipment. Effective and safe pressure washers can cost anywhere from USD 400 to USD 10,000. That is why you need to understand a few aspects before investing:
- Applying the maximum power of 3000 PSI can cause damage to the surface if used incorrectly
- You should consider nozzle selection, cleaning agents, and distance from the surface while using the machine
- The speed of the pressure washer can cause lacerations, amputations, and other injuries
- You need to invest in pressure washer attachments because of surface compatibility issues
- Pressure washers require professional soaps, detergents, cleaning solutions, and chemicals
There is a difference between pressure washing and power washing. Power washers are heavy-duty equipment used to clean larger areas. On the other hand, pressure washers are safer machines used for smaller surfaces. Therefore, ensure you buy the correct equipment without being confused.
Why Choose a Pressure Washing Company?
Now, pressure washing can seem too commercial and scary for you. That is when professional pressure washing services come in handy.
These experienced pressure washers use commercial-grade machines to seamlessly deep clean your property. With their help, you no longer have to worry about spending thousands of dollars on equipment, cleaning solutions, and nozzles.
According to Absolute Painting, homeowners should be proactive with maintenance. Otherwise, the home can suffer long-term damage due to moss buildup.
While choosing, check the service price, company insurance, and guarantees. Choose a company that uses industry-grade equipment that is environmentally friendly. Either way, hiring professional services allows you to avoid the mistakes mentioned below.
6 Mistakes Beginners Make With Pressure Washers
Do you want to buy and use a pressure washer instead of hiring professional help? As a beginner, it is normal for you to make mistakes. However, pressure washing mistakes can hurt you. Some of these mistakes include the following:
- Not using safety equipment or forgetting to angle the spray patterns
- Spraying upwards using the wrong nozzle or against siding channels
- Using the maximum pressure and overloading the machine
- Not using an electric pressure washer indoors
- Buying a pressure washer without UL-1776 standards
- Not maintaining or taking care of the machine
Furthermore, avoid pressure washing electrical panels, meters, asphalt shingles, lead paint, air conditioners, and more. Also, keep the device away from children and surfaces containing old mortar.
5 Safety Tips for Using a Pressure Washer
You can hire professionals or follow pressure washing safety tips to avoid the mistakes:
- Know how to operate your machine with its accessories
- Use safety gear such as gloves, goggles, and boots
- Survey the area you want to pressure wash and remove any hazards
- Maintain a proper distance from the machine while using it
- Do not place your hand in front of the water stream
Remember to depressurize the equipment once done. This way, you can avoid accidental discharge after storage.
When used correctly, you can pressure wash the deck, patio, fences, walkway, bathroom, or kitchen. You can also use it on your rug, sofa, roof, or BBQ.
The Bottom Line
Pressure washing requires experience and practice to execute efficiently. Otherwise, the water pressure can harm your skin, or you can lose control of the device.
Therefore, choosing a professional service to clean your home would be wise. But do you want to witness the satisfaction yourself? In that case, you need to follow the safety tips mentioned. Ensure that you read the instructions carefully and practice with lower pressure.
Avoid having anyone around you when you are using the machine. Moreover, beginners like you need to turn on the safety latch on the device for stability.