Unfortunately, burglary rates rise over the holiday period. It’s a time where many leave their homes unoccupied while visiting friends and family for long periods of time. This means that your valuables such as electronics, jewelry, and cash are left unguarded.
There are ways to help prevent your home from being a target.
- Using timed lights is a great way to give the illusion that you are still residing in your home. You can set certain rooms to be lit at specific times, preventing your neighbors and any interested parties from knowing you’re gone.
- You can install a home security system such as Ninja Security Systems Melbourne. Many security systems these days come with great features such as CCTV, intercoms, and alarms. These features could help you identify any potential intruders as well as deter them by answering with the intercom even when you’re away.
- Avoid having your mail delivered. Having your mail pile up on your front door is a sign that you are not occupying your house. Many post offices have a service to hold your mail while you’re on holiday. This prevents packages from staying on your doorstep and alerting others to your absence.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked, and that your curtains are drawn. While it seems obvious, many burglaries take place because a door or window was left unlocked. Before leaving your home make sure to check all entry points. Closing certain curtains can prevent potential thieves from seeing your valuables.
- Store your outdoor goods inside. Make sure that bicycles and cars are stored in the garage or a shed that can be locked with a good padlock. Leaving cars outside in the same position could alert them that you are not around. Bikes are also a commonly stolen item and should be stored safely when you’re away.
- Refrain from posting. Posting your adventures on social media may seem like a great idea at the time, however it tells everyone online that you are out of your home. This makes it easier for potential thieves to break in.
- Install locks. Installing locks on your front and back door as well as any gates leading to the garden can be a great deterrent for criminals. Be sure to discuss your options with your local locksmith.
- Move your valuables out of sight. If your television and games consoles are in clear view from the street, be sure to move them to a safe space. Moving your valuables out of sight can help prevent someone from taking an interest in your house.
- Motion sensor lights. Motion sensor lights are a great way to deter potential criminals. It alerts passerbyers to a presence around the house and may deter someone from trying to break in if they believe someone has turned on a light to investigate.
- Invest in a safe. Investing in a good quality safe may not deter a burglar from entering the house. But it can help you store your valuables in a secure place as well as prevent important documents from being stolen if someone does break into your house.